Fleeton Year of Adventure travel blog

Waves coming in to pound the beach, and the wind and rain...

More waves, photographed from out on the Caesar's concrete pier

Lunch at the Rainforest Cafe, with the fish, elephants, gorillas, et al.

Inside Caesar's Palace, in the huge rotunda upstairs

The Atrium at Harrah's, with the big pool and many hottubs, and...

The Grand Rotunda at Harrah's, always featuring a sand castle - this...

On Tuesday, Nov. 10th, we went out to visit a bank (on Atlantic, in case you are following on your Monopoly board). On our way back we stopped at the motorhome, and found a warning ticket glued to the window saying we were about to be towed. I had checked with the security people when we arrived and they had said if we were checked into the hotel it would be fine, but on Tuesday no-one anywhere was prepared to help us - we were told no motorhomes at all were allowed in downtown Atlantic City. So, having gotten good and mad, we finally found a sympathetic person at the front desk who happily transferred out last night (and one new night) over to Harrah's in the Marina district, where we had seen Tony Bennett. We kept the same cheap rate, so that was good, had free parking for the motorhome, and we had a fancier hotel (although the food was more expensive!) Anyway, we enjoyed it for several days, and when the weather reports started to look bad because of Hurricane Ida heading our way, we added on one more day. On Thursday, the 12th, we took the Harrah's shuttle bus over to the Boardwalk to do some storm watching. We didn't go far along the Boardwalk (at least not outside), but we did walk out on Caesar's pier which had a covered walkway up one side. The waves were thundering on in towards the beach, and visibility was poor because of the blowing rain and surf. To get out of the rain we went into the Rainforest Cafe at Caesars for a great lunch, and to enjoy all the wildlife (real and faked). We did some gambling at both Caesars and Bally's, which are connected, and then caught the shuttle back to Harrah's. On Friday the 13th we took our time getting ready, then Malcolm took our bags out to the motorhome. Not only was the home battery almost dead, but rain had been sneaking in through vents. Anyway, we had lunch at the casino, lost a bit more money on the slots, and went out to the motorhome and drove back out to our campground in Pomona a few minutes outside town. The weather is supposed to be calmer tomorrow, so hopefully we won't be bouncing around on the highway quite so much as we head south! I'm waiting to see if the storm is going to mean better or worse beachcombing when we hit the big North Carolina beaches.

Entry Rating:     Why ratings?
Please Rate:  
Thank you for voting!
Share |