Europe 2018 travel blog

Olympic ski jump Lillehammer

Looking over Lillehammer from ski area

Closer look at ski jump

Olympic torch structure

Skis lining side street down town

1854 chimney, now part of a restaurant

Looking down main "walking street"

Our hotel


5 August 2018

A very slow start to our day.

After breakfast we set off for the Olympic Park area. Took a bit of navigating around the streets, but found it eventually. Had a look around the bottom part of the ski jump, the Olympic torch structure, and general seating area for viewing the jumps. They are rather scary and much higher than it looks on TV. We then drove to Lysgardsbakkene Ski Jumping Arena which gives an even scarier view down the ski jumps. They have a plastic coating so they can be used in summer, but no one was jumping today.

Returned to the hotel and walked down town to find some lunch. What a difference to yesterday. All shops closed, no market type stalls and only a few eating places open. We found a nice little corner kiosk which had surprisingly lovely food.

A walk around the area for a few photos and then headed back to the hotel for a restful afternoon, reading and catching up on mail. Was nice to just enjoy some downtime.

The hotel put on another smorgasboard "light" dinner which was very nice and some different dishes to last night. One of the staff said the soup was broccoli, but it seemed more like cauliflower, but very tasty just the same. Not much English used around here.

Had a walk around the block after dinner.

Has been a beautiful summer day and quite warm. They would love some rain here, as well as most of Norway. Have enjoyed our time in Lillehammer and pleased we made the drive here.

Share |